The below list of features is a subset of the full list of new features for NVDA. I am simplifying and explaining the feature set in an attempt to help nontechnical people appreciate what’s new for NVDA. This list was retrieved from NvAccess and edited here.
What’s New in NVDA2022.3
What’s New in NVDA
A significant amount of this release was contributed by the NVDA development community. This includes delayed character descriptions and improved Windows Console support.
This release also includes several bug fixes. Notably, up-to-date versions of Adobe Acrobat/Reader will no longer crash when reading a PDF document.
eSpeak has been updated, which introduces 3 new languages: Belarusian, Luxembourgish and Totontepec Mixe.
- In the Windows Console Host used by Command Prompt, PowerShell, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 11 version 22H2 and later:
- Vastly improved performance and stability.
- When pressing control+f to find text, the review cursor position is updated to follow the found term.
- Reporting of typed text that does not appear on-screen is disabled by default. It can be re-enabled in NVDA’s advanced settings panel.
- Text that has scrolled offscreen can be reviewed without scrolling the console window.
- More detailed text formatting information is available.
- A new Speech option has been added to read character descriptions after a delay.
- A new Braille option has been added to determine if scrolling the display forward/back should interrupt speech.
- eSpeak NG has been updated to 1.52-dev commit 9de65fcb.
- Added languages:
- Totontepec Mixe
- Added languages:
- When using UI Automation to access Microsoft Excel spreadsheet controls, NVDA is now able to report when a cell is merged.
- Instead of reporting “has details” the purpose of details is included where possible, for example “has comment”.
- The installation size of NVDA is now shown in Windows Programs and Feature section.
- Adobe Acrobat / Reader 64 bit will no longer crash when reading a PDF document.
- Note that the most up to date version of Adobe Acrobat / Reader is also required to avoid the crash.
- Font size measurements are now translatable in NVDA.
- Ignore Java Access Bridge events where no window handle can be found for Java applications. This will improve performance for some Java applications including IntelliJ IDEA.
- Announcement of selected cells for LibreOffice Calc is more efficient and no longer results in a Calc freeze when many cells are selected.
- When running under a different user, Microsoft Edge is no longer inaccessible.
- When rate boost is off, eSpeak’s rate does not drop anymore between rates 99% and 100%.
- Fix bug which allowed 2 Input Gestures dialogs to open.
Start Your Update
If you’re running NVDA while reading this, perform the following steps to update it right now!
- Press NVDA+N.
- Press the letter H, or arrow down to Help.
- Press the letter C, or arrow down to Check for update…
Enjoy your new NVDA!