Hello everyone. I would like to introduce you to a new NVDA add-on. It’s called Zoom enhancements for NVDA. In short it allows you to customize the alerts that you get while in Zoom meetings. It also makes it easier to jump in and out of remote control sessions. I am pasting the info about the add-on below. I’ve edited slightly for clarity.
The Zoom add-on has just been released and there will be updates. If you have the Add-on Updater for NVDA you will be notified whenever an update to this add-on is available.
You can download Zoom Enhancements now.
If you require help with the add-on and you are a current Tame Your Tech member, just email or call.
And Now, for our featured NVDA add-on!
- Authors: Mohamad Suliman, Eilana Benish
- Download stable version
- NVDA compatibility: 2018.4 to 2020.2
This add-on improves the experience of using Zoom for NVDA users by providing keyboard shortcuts to Handle alerts for Different events While In a meeting, make the process of remote control much more accessible and smoother, and more.
Keyboard Shortcuts for Controlling Alerts in Meetings
- NVDA + Shift + A: cycles between different modes of reporting alerts. The following modes are available:
- Report all alerts mode, where all alerts are reported as usual
- Beep for alerts, where NVDA will play a short beep for every alert displayed in Zoom
- Silence all alerts, where NVDA will ignore all alerts
- Custom mode, Where the user can customize which alerts they want to have and which not. This can be done using the settings dialog box of the add-on, or by using the dedicated keyboard shortcuts for that
The following shortcuts can be used to toggle on / off the announcements of each type of alert (note that this will be most useful when custom mode is turned on):
- NVDA + Ctrl + 1: Participant Has Joined/Left Meeting (Host Only)
- NVDA + Ctrl + 2: Participant Has Joined/Left Waiting Room (Host Only)
- NVDA + Ctrl + 3: Audio Muted by Host
- NVDA + Ctrl + 4: Video Stopped by Host
- NVDA + Ctrl + 5: Screen Sharing Started/Stopped by a Participant
- NVDA + Ctrl + 6: Recording Permission Granted/Revoked
- NVDA + Ctrl + 7: Public In-meeting Chat Received
- NVDA + Ctrl + 8: Private In-meeting Chat Received
- NVDA + Ctrl + 9: In-meeting File Upload Completed
- NVDA + Ctrl + 0: Host Privilege Granted/Revoked
- NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + 1: Participant Has Raised/Lowered Hand (Host only)
- NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + 2: Remote Control Permission Granted/Revoked
- NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + 3: IM chat message received
Note that you need to leave reporting all alert types checked (in Zoom accessibility settings dialog box) so that the add-on functions as expected.
Keyboard shortcut for Opening add on Dialogue
NVDA + Z Opens the add-on dialog box! Note: only works in a Zoom window.
Using this dialog box, you can:
- See which alerts are announced and which aren’t
- Select the types of the alerts you want to be announced
- Choose alerts reporting mode
- Save custom changes
After remote control permission is granted, NVDA + O will move the focus in/out of the remote controlled screen
Note that the focus should be on one of the meeting controls to be able to remote control the other screen
An Important note
Currently custom alerts only work in English.